Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 7: Metros and Models and Fishies, oh my!

The struggles continued in Lisbon after we returned from Sintra. Basically, public transit sucks (and those who know me know that it pains me to say this because I LOVE the metro). At least, once you're on it and have the info you need, you are good to go, but it's the paying for your ticket and finding the station you need and any other sort of information that is impossible. Which means we may have gotten some free bus rides because we had no idea how to get ticket. Oops.

We were also unable to meet up with Carissa's cousin who was coming in on a cruise because the information we did find didn't turn out to be reliable. And then we tried walking but the terminals are 2.5 miles away so... yeah. It was truly a case of the Mondays.

Also, it seems like everything in Lisbon is closed on Mondays so we improvised by making ourselves into the art. Carissa and I were the models and Eric stood in as photographer! This is us turning a negative into a positive :)

These are our three attempts at getting a jumping picture in front of the Monastery of Jeronimos...

They didn't quite work out so we switched to leap frog. Then gangnam style (ride your pony!) in front of the horses, and Eric in front of the Monastery

Carissa and I in front of the Monastery

The Monument of Discovery, and then Carissa and I playing on a sculpture outside of the modern art museum

The Tower of Belem calls for a wheel barrow race, Carissa says baby got back

Can you spot us?


Fun in front of the gate at Rossio, aka our fails at trying to get a cute "sitting down" picture

We then walked around the Rossio district that our apartment was in. I got into trouble by going into yet another Zara and this time I didn't come away empty handed. Score one for the home team. Eric is also offered pot multiple times by men on the street. I'm not sure what this says about him haha.

After that we headed over towards the bus station and the Oceanarium that Lisbon built for the 1997 World Exhibition. If I had any sort of ability to learn science I so would have been a marine biologist so this was fun for me! I may have taken a lot of photos of fishes.

This jellyfish was technically not part of the aquarium but scary enough it warranted a photo. Watch out for the seas in Lisbon! We also made friends with a scuba diver.

SEA TURTLESSSSSSS. And coral. It's pretty.

(hums jaws theme) and duckie!

Penguin exhibit made me think of Happy Feet

These otters were too cute. And were such show offs. Not that we minded!

Carissa and I in the rainforest, and that thing that killed the Crocodile Hunter

Can you spot the fish? And we found Dory!

Who says only little kids can have fun in gift shops?

The Oceanarium from the outside. 

Following the Oceanarium, we have LOADS of time to waste until our bus to Seville, and what do you know, there is a shopping center conveniently located right next to it! I may have made my second purchase, but this time at Mango--my second favorite store. I'm back in my happy place.

However, we still have 2.5 hours so we get gelato (7 days in a row mind you), buy water, and stake out the bus station. We decide that the terminal right underneath the bus station looks like the Ministry of Magic from Harry Potter. However, once night starts to fall it becomes the Ministry of Hobos so we decide to take ourselves back above ground.

Ministry of Magic Hobos

And finally we are off on our oh so not comfortable over night bus ride to Seville!


No comments: