Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Day 6: Sodermalm please

Our next day in Stockholm, we decided to journey over to Sodermalm, one of the hip neighborhoods of Stockholm that is just over the bridge (like most everything) from Gamla Stan. It was a pleasant walk, despite it being a bit rainy/dreary, but is was a cool destination and we got to see a different side of the city that's more similar to what one might find in the good ole US of A.

First we stopped and got an amazingly delicious Thai lunch (thanks TripAdvisor for the find!). It was so good that we came back the next day as well, we have no shame. But after the 2 mile walk, we were wanting some more and lo and behold, we stumble upon a Magnum shop! You could make your own Magnum ice cream bar, which I don't think I've ever seen before. 

We each made our own, some (cough Sarah cough) with more eclectic ingredients.

But I decided to stick to some basics, chocolate, coconut, peanuts, and strawberry flavored something. It was delicious! Quite the sugar rush for us to go look at all the Swedish designed furniture. This is a new branch from Ikea with all the class of Swedish design. I, predictably, thought it was fantastic.

Especially this quote--so true. I wished I could have taken a lot of it home with me! But alas, weight and luggage restrictions. 

A cool umbrella with the map of Stockholm. Then a nice book on things to do. And a perfect sign. All seen in Sodermalm.

This was the view across the bridge back to Gamla Stan, definitely a little more rustic. We then decided to head over to the Town Hall and take a tour.

It was a beauty! And of course West wanted a picture (I am in no position to judge this, obviously). 

Apparently while on the *paid* tour of the Town Hall, you must wear your back packs in the front. I guess all the pick pockets these days are even bad on the paid tours! (There were no pick pockets, I'm still unclear as to why this was necessary). Here we have the lovely room in the Town Hall, perhaps this is where they actually have the Ball for the Nobel Peace Prize winner.

We also saw the chamber where the local politicians practice. In adjacent rooms they had lovely ceilings and views across the water, which personally I would find quite distracting if I was trying to work in this hall.

More lovely views. I can only imagine how gorgeous it would be on a sunny day! And then some massive tapestries. I believe this was in the room where they do 5 minute wedding ceremonies on Saturdays.

Another long hall, this one with a nice mural painted by one of the princes. 

A look down the pretty hall, and at some of the paintings.

We then entered what I will call the Gold Room, because, you know, there was a lot of gold. Gold everything. Stay gold, ponyboy.

This guy on the left reminded me of Hercules, and then group photo during the tour of us with the gold! And then the throne.

The gold was really lovely. And then we saw the organ pipes ( I think that's what this is), and down into the hall where the Nobel prize winners are welcomed.

All in all, a pretty cool tour! And my sticker now graces this piece of tourist art.

We took the long way (on accident) back to the hostel but were rewarded with lovely canal views.

All green everything in Stockholm.

We decided to live it up a little that night after take a nap, so of course there was a flaming beverage that we enjoyed with our new friends, one of which you can actually see courtesy of Sarah's snapchat below.


No comments: